Top 15 questions to ask every storage facility you visit
If you’re like most people, you’ll probably call a few self storage facilities before deciding which location fits your needs. Having an idea ahead of time of what you want to store, how long you need storage and how much space you’ll need will help ensure more accurate information. Not all properties are created equal. They vary on unit types, amenities, pricing and additional options. Here are 15 simple question you may want to ask during your search:
- What types of storage units are available? Drive-up, Standard, Climate Controlled, Cooled and Heated, or Dehumidified Storage?
- How far in advance can I reserve my storage unit?
- What documents are required to rent a storage unit?
- What cannot be stored in a typical storage unit?
- What is the level of onsite security? Cameras? Door alarms? Motion detectors? Keypad entry? Fully fenced property?
- What are the gate hours, can you gain access when it’s convenient for you?
- Do they provide moving carts, dollies and elevators to make moving your items quick and easy?
- Do they offer a free truck for move-in and move-out?
- If you’re move is too big for their truck, can they make reputable recommendations?
- What are their payment options? Online, autopay, pre-payment?
- Do they have a retail store where you can purchase moving and packing supplies?
- What perks are available for business storage customers?
- What steps are taken to keep the facility clean?
- Do they have a preventative pest control system in place?
- Do they offer a tenant protection or insurance program?
A knowledgeable property manager should be able to answer all of your questions, direct you to the company website for more information and invite you to the property for a tour. You should always stop by your location of choice to verify information provided via the internet or a phone conversation.